4 Tips for When Your Garage Door is Frozen Shut
You’re sitting in your car on a blustery and frigid morning about to leave your house for work. You push the button on your garage door remote but something’s wrong. There’s a whimper and a groan but nothing happens. You try the button once more but it’s the same thing. What now? Do you have to immediately call a service company? Not necessarily. Here are four tips to keep in mind if your garage door appears to be frozen shut one cold Calgary morning.
- Do not try to force the door open by pushing the button again. Repeatedly attempting to start the mechanical device with your remote will put additional strain on the automated door. This strain could damage the motor or strip the gears. In other words, you’ll likely break it.
- Perform a visual inspection. Determine if the door is unlocked. Both the interior slide lock and the locking mechanism on the wall console should be inspected. During your inspection, also look out for any obvious obstruction. If you find one, you may be able dislodge it.
- Disengage the garage door opener by pulling on the emergency cord that hangs from the head of the machine. Usually it has a red handle making it easy to identify. You can now attempt to dislodge the overhead door.
- Check for ice build-ups, as they’re a common occurrence in Calgary. If you find one, you can use one of these methods to get rid of the ice. Exercise caution though, as you don’t want to accidentally damage the bottom seal.
- Ice Scraper. Very carefully chip at the ice to dislodge it. A risky method because if you happen to use too much force, you could damage the garage door.
- Hair Dryer. Melt the ice by aiming the dryer at the ice. Use the lowest heat setting and continuous motion to prevent the melting of the paint on the door. This is a slow method but the least likely to damage the door.
- Rock Salt or Salt Water. Both of these methods can be used if temperatures aren’t too extreme. Just be sure to clean off all traces afterwards as the salt can corrode the door.
- Boiling Water. This method requires two people and quick action, as you wouldn’t want the water to freeze and make your situation worse than it was before.
If You’re Still Stuck, Call in the Pros
Crowfoot & Cross Town Garage Door Services is here to help. We can get your door up and running safely and smoothly again. We also sell a wide range of garage door and garage door openers. We’ve serviced the Calgary area for over twenty years and know garage doors like no one else. Call us today to schedule an appointment for repair or visit us at our showroom if you’re looking for something brand new. We look forward to hearing from you.