Freshen Up Your Calgary Garage This Spring!
If you find yourself looking longingly at your BBQ and dreaming of summer get-togethers, the crocuses are peeking through and you don't wear your arctic gear every time you step outdoors, it can only mean one thing: spring is finally here! And with spring comes garage care and maintenance.
Here are a few tips to get your garage clean and ready for another year of carefree use. Let's start inside:
- Get Organized! Shop around for the storage system best suited to your garage space. Store your things in clear plastic totes with good lids. Label them clearly and organize into winter and summer sections. This is a good time to make a trip to your local thrift store with all those items you no longer need.
- Sweep Up and Dust! Dust and grime accumulate over winter. Dust off and wipe down as needed.
- Add a Fresh Coat of Paint! A fresh coat of paint or wood treatment in the garage will do wonders to brighten the space.
And don't forget your garage door! A little yearly maintenance will go a long way to avoid expensive repairs.
- Clean the inside and outside of the door with mild soap and water. Rinse off the door to not leave stains. Remember, the garage door is often the largest visible exterior surface of a house. Keep it looking fresh and your house will look its very best.
- Remove any rust from metal doors, then prime and paint. Wooden doors may need scraping. If there is any rot, the door might need replacing. Visit our showroom for replacement options!
- Remove accumulated dirt and grime from all parts of the door mechanism including cables, track, springs, rollers, hinges, weather stripping and handles. Lubricate moving parts only with the appropriate product.
- Check for damage. Frayed cables will need replacing by a professional. They are under tension and serious injury could occur if you change them yourself. This goes for the springs as well. Badly rusted springs heighten the risk of breakage, possibly causing injury. Crowfoot and Cross Town Garage Door Services can help if you need garage door repair in Calgary. Make sure the ball-bearings and hinges are quiet and properly lubricated. Replace as necessary.
- Check the bolts holding the track and motor in place. Tighten as necessary.
- Replace damaged weather stripping and insulation when the weather is warm. Temperatures above 0 degrees are the best time to take care of this project. Weather stripping can be purchased over the counter at our showroom for those who would like to replace it themselves.
Garage doors in Calgary require special care. The harsh Calgary winters take their toll. At Crowfoot and Cross Town Garage Door Services we recommend thoroughly inspecting your overhead doors in Calgary every year or two. Remember, it's much easier to take care of basic maintenance in spring then repair a broken door in the dead of winter.
Crowfoot and Cross Town Garage Door Services have been in business for 20 years and we'll take care of all your garage door repair needs in Calgary. Contact us today!